I’m always thinking about life in the style of “hope for the best, plan for the worst” and that means I like to have a few things in my handbag for when I’m out and about. I have M.E/CFS which makes going out a military manoeuvre in itself so there are some things I take out to make this easier. Not that going out is easy in the first place…
1. My Blue Badge- I can’t express how much of a difference this makes to going out. It makes assembling the wheelchair and me getting into it so much safer. It really changed my life for the better. (More about the Blue Badge Scheme here)
2. Earplugs – If you struggle with noise then these can help dim the noise around you and it can be the difference to being able to stay somewhere and have to go home. They only muffle the sound so I sometimes wear one earplug so I can still talk to whomever I’m with.
3. Sunglasses – I really struggle with the sun and if I have my contact lenses in then this is what I need to go out all months of the year. I have a few different pairs and swap them about when I fancy it.
4. OTC painkillers or regular medication. I like to have it just in case as being out and about means higher pain levels for me.
5. Hand sanitizer It’s quicker and easier to use than wash your hands when you are out and about.
6. Mints or snacks, I need to eat at regular times otherwise I drop like a rock so I have snacks in my handbag most of the time and the mints are good for when nausea hits me.
7. RADAR Key it’s a scheme of keys that allow access to accessible toilets across the country. I bought mine for a few pounds and it is a life saver when the toilets are locked. (Radar Key Scheme)
So they are my top essentials for being out and about it has taken me a while to learn what I wish I had brought with me so I’m not frantically trying to find items when out.
What are your handbag essentials?
Before you go I just wanted to thank you all for your lovely comments about last weeks blog post – if you didn’t catch it then I’ll leave a link for you but it meant a lot to me and I was nervous to tell you all. I’ll try to keep going with the blog but I don’t know how my energy will be as the weeks go on. I’ll let you guys know mainly via Instagram so be sure to follow me for more updates along the way! ❤️